Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve
Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve offers people of all ages a retreat from the surrounding urban areas. This 41-acre urban forest provides critical greenspace and recreation opportunities in the city. The only
urban nature preserve owned by the Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission, Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve offers:
- Over 2 miles of hiking trails
- A diversity of plants - 180 species of trees, shrubs and wildflowers recorded
- Over 150 species of resident and migratory birds documented
- At least 30 butterfly species observed
- And amazing wildlife viewing opportunities
When visiting the nature preserve, please respect these rules.
Louisville Nature Center manages Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve under an agreement with the Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission. Our management goals include preserving biodiversity, restoring habitat quality and maintaining safe trail conditions.
Louisville Nature Center encourages the public to become involved and assist with our management efforts. If you would like to contribute, please consider lending a hand at the next Volunteer Day in the Preserve.